<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://runefficient.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Run Efficient: Kingdom Trails - East Burke VT

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kingdom Trails - East Burke VT

Over the weekend I had the fantastic opportunity to travel with my friend Jeff Scher to East Burke VT and help him with photo shoots.  Jeff's itinerary was a shoot on Monday in VT, Tuesday in NH, and then back to Maine to wrap it up.  While in VT I was able to take advantage of the spectacular Kingdom Trails.

We arrived at The Inn At Mountain View Farm in East Burke during a rainy Sunday afternoon.  Once we checked in, I checked out, and hit the trails with a water bottle and sectioned map of the area.  I started off on the West side of the hill (1444ft) and headed down the Loop Trail for an easy warm up.  The quick down grade was a bit steeper than expected and eventually turned in to the River Run Trail.  With wet leaves underfoot and picturesque fall foliage above, these trails were a magical inception to the area.  Running along at one point the landscape changed to evergreens and pine needles covered in florescent lichen, glowing in the evening light.

After a few bridges, twists and turns, and glorious views of the swollen river I turned on to the Meadow Wood Trail.  This ascended a bit to pastures with horses, cows and the occasional busy birds darting back and forth.  I glanced at the map a few times to keep my bearings and was going to turn around at the 30 minute mark, but could not avoid checking out what was around the next bend.  The Old Webs Trail was my next landscape change and this trail lived up to it's name.  Snaking back and forth like the Bradbury O Trail but with clear views of the surrounding area dotted with pines and needles strewn throughout.  This trail cleared to an amazing view of the area from a chapel at the top of a hill.

I cruised down a dirt road to the main road and decided to check out the other side of the area.  My map however was torn off at that exact spot as I had not intended to go this far out.  I took a chance and headed right.   Shortly thereafter the Vast Trail came in to view.  This, according to the map, was the only trail that went back relatively straight to the Inn.  It was getting darker and the rain started up again so I figured I should b-line it back.  The Vast Trail turned quite fun as well with quick double track and undulating hills keeping me alive.


With the rain coming down hard my water running out and my belly grumbling I turned on to the Kitchel Trail (830ft).  I saw a few mountain bikers here (for the first time) and after saying 'hi' glanced at the 'one way' sign and noted I was going the wrong way.  One of the bikers yelled out a caution that people scream down the trail, and to watch out.  The Kitchel Trail was absolutely crazy twisty, with jumps and technical berms.  (see You Tube video from mountain bikers perspective.)  I ran up as quickly and cautiously as I could listening through the pounding rain for anyone coming down the steep incline.  The plan was to take a left off the trail and hit the road for the final quarter mile to the Inn.  However my last look at the soaked map made it clear I'd missed the turn and was headed back in the woods.

On to another trail which read 'Worth It' and I agreed as I ducked under sugar lines crisscrossing the trail and surrounding woods.  Like a well laid spider web the white, blue and black lines seemed to glow in the fading light and pouring rain.  My last look at the map appeared as though the trail came close to another road and I should be able to bush-wack my way out.  After turning around at a sugar shack I ended up on the Bill Magill Trail which lead me right to a road.  The question was, which road?  It was dirt and not the road I thought it might be.  I headed up, figuring the Inn was at the top of basically everything in the area.  After passing a half dozen gorgeous farm houses, stables, barns and rainy vistas I ended at the Inn.

The trails in the North East Kingdom are on my top 3 list of best places I've ever run.  I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity, grooming, and elevation profile of the area.  It's clear to see why this is a mecca for mountain bikers, skiers, snowshoeing, and running alike.  I will definitely head back there, and look forward to bringing Alison for a getaway, and the Trail Monsters sometime for another bad ass run.  Next time though I'll hit Burke Mountain for some challenging elevation gain.  Jeff also had a great time and could appreciate the trails as he'd been there 3 times before.  He had a great shoot the next day and the client was real happy with the pictures.  A special thanks to him for inviting me along and sharing the love.

distance:  >10
duration:  1:34:45

2 Comments:

At October 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Sparkplug said...

Sounds like some great running trails! Love the description :-)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 12:39 AM , Blogger Scout said...

Nice! It must be a great place to be in your top three.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home