<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://runefficient.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Run Efficient: Pineland Brad Connector

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pineland Brad Connector

I had a few hours today and wanted to get in 20 somewhere. Joe Wrobleski was able to hit some miles with me, and regrettably Val couldn't make it at the last minute. So the plan was to find the connector that links Pineland to the Brad.

Joe and I started out via the Oak Hill area and ran the loop backwards for something different. We skirted a bit through the woods until we hit the train tracks and cruised along for around a mile until the power lines. It was the middle of winter when last I was on these trails and we ran them from the opposite direction. So I was not real sure which set of power lines we were supposed to take and where the actual turn-off is. We passed the first set and took off on the second set which was apparent it was not the correct trail. Waist deep grass and no tracks had us turning around after the first hill. Back to the tracks and a few hundred feet, and we were on the right set of lines.

After what seemed like a long time trudging in the heat and rough grass, and over a bunch of fun little bridges and a few roads we ran right by the connector. I was surprised at this as Jamie and I spent such an intricate amount of time on the cairns and figured there was no way anyone would miss the entrance. Not to mention the time spent by all the TM's on the beautiful trail head. Well we hit the connector and I was a bit bummed as I had to be back by 4:30 which meant turning around at the hour and a half mark. Joe was psyched about the trail and we were both happy to be out of the heat and power lines. The trail is very, very nice and kudos to the Maine Conservation Corps, NEMBA, the TM's and all who organized and created the trail. We reached, and ran along the river and just before we actually hit the Brad I had to call it, and turn around. The run back was OK except for the never-ending train tracks. When we hit Pineland I glanced down and saw ticks all over my legs, in my socks and buried in my shoes. Marching up towards my torso like a platoon of thirsty soldiers they were happy I'd stopped long enough for them to make headway. Not cool. All in all I pulled 46 off of me! Lesson learned, tall grass and the wrong trail are not a good combo. Back at the vehicles I had to go, but Joe headed out to get in his full 20.

With great conversation about Joe's running history and plans for VT100 as well as the 100 Mile Wilderness coming up, it was a good day. I still feel like I have ticks all over me...

distance: 16.5
duration: 2:56:31
pace: 10:42

3 Comments:

At June 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Sparkplug said...

Holy crap! 46 ticks! That makes me itch just thinking about it!! Nice work on the mileage too.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Blogger mindy said...

Them's a lot of ticks. I love the idea of the reverse Connector - I'm definitely up for trying that again sometime soon!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Scout said...

I'm up for that...when the ticks are dead! Way to overcome : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home