<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://runefficient.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Run Efficient: Let the training begin!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Let the training begin!

OK, so, Vermont 100...  With the DNF three years ago I'm really looking forward to doing things correctly this time around.  Lack of training, poor shoe choice, too much liquid fuel consumption, too many processed foods, too much sodium, and too many blisters all lead to a rookie dropout at mile 77.  Lessons learned.

I won't be changing my training plans too much, basically recycling a bunch of what I've done over the past 6 months.  I will however incorporate more road runs, mixing them in with trails.  My hope is to get a few mountainous long runs in to simulate the course as best I can.  I won't care as much about the high mileage as making sure there's a bit higher quality in each week.  I would also like to actually do some strength stuff, plyometrics, cross-fit, whatever.  I've seen how beneficial this has been to other runners and hope to squeeze some in.  We'll see.

6/4 - 6/10

Monday - Off

Tuesday - Stroudwater, 6.22 @54:39.  The trail was real washed out from the previous weekends rains. Most of the bridges were out-of-place and the flooding was evident. Hit two miles on the road to test out the new Inov-8 Terrafly 303's.  So far so good.

Wednesday - Skillins Tree Farm, 8:44 @1:22.  Great run with Zak at the tree farm. I got there a bit early and ran down the road to get in about a mile and a half. We ended up doing a bunch of random repeats through the wet fields, mud puddles and tall grass. Great to catch up with him and hear all about his adventures abroad.

Thursday - Robinson Woods, 5.00 @57:00.  Ran with a client on their first trail run for a few miles then continued on at a relaxed pace to get in a 5.  Kind of wanted to do six, but just wasn't feeling it.

Friday - Robinson Woods, 15.31, @2:25.  Started off at Robinson Woods and ran through and all around Fort Williams. I had hoped to meet up with Mindy for some of the run and catch-up, but our schedules didn't quite gel. So I continued back through Robinson Woods, on up the road, hit a quick loop in the golf course, back along the road and a finished with a bit more on the trails. The road acclimation is taking it's toll on these soft surface legs.

Saturday - Fore River, 6:53 @1:06.  Great mellow run on a gorgeous day.

Sunday - Baldface Loop, 9.50 @2:44.  Fantastic run with Ian, and his dogs, Jamie, and Nathan.  Dave, Julia, Jim, and his dog, Dora, and Kathy also ran and hiked either part or all of the loop.  The four of us set out at a slightly quicker pace than my calves were ready for, but they warmed up soon enough.  We charged on power-hiking the steeps, scrambling up the open rocky sections and running where we could.  Excellent views and a really perfect day helped us cruise along the ridge lines and on down for an exciting descent.  Toward the bottom we jumped in the freezing cold Emerald Pool hoping to catch up to everyone, but it wasn't to be.
Thank you for the pic Ian.

I wore the Terrafly 303's which turned out to be a real bad choice.  They're designed for road/trail, but due to the harder rubber compound sole they were real slick on the wet rocks.  They'll still be ideal for Vermont, but not for technical terrain.  Felt like It was the middle of winter on icy trails for a bit.  I went down a few times and totally had the footing confidence knocked out of me.  Made for an exciting descent.
Various expressions...
 This was a great loop to run and really brought me back to when my brother and I used to hike on weekends in the Whites.  I'm pretty sure we'd done a few of these peaks and finished the hike off with a dip in the pool, but things look the same 25 years later.
Thanks for the pic Jamie!

Time:  9:28
Distance:  51.1
Elevation:  6411




6 Comments:

At June 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Blogger middle.professor said...

Look forward to following the vermont training. Seems to me that Pineland or snomo trails would be a good choice. Who needs roads! Andy K. had problems in the inov8-212s descending bald face. Same thing. Sliding all over. It was very funny to watch him but I don't think he thought it very funny. I think I was in my 295s and I had no problem. Interesting.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Scout said...

Hey, Mindy and I missed you jumping out at us on Lunch Break Hill on Saturday. I think that rock will always make me smile!

The pics from Bald Face are awesome :D

 
At June 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM , Blogger pathfinder said...

Great photos....I agree, the best on wet rocks for me so far are the 295s, though the 212s are similar, the rubber doesn't seem as sticky

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Jeremy Bonnett said...

Good point, Pineland is pretty perfect for it. I've slipped in my 212's as well, but always had great luck with the 290's, which I'll use on the Pemi Loop.

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Jeremy Bonnett said...

Yeah the 290/295's seem to be the resounding winners of "slick-rocks".

 
At June 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM , Blogger David said...

I think it's going to be an incredible race for you Jeremy. I'll be down there to support in any way that I can. (My only regret from Peaks was not being able to be there when you crossed the line....won't miss it this time). Wishing you the best with your training and I'll see you on the trails soon.

D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home